Saturday, August 25, 2007

random info





So the photos are the updated and "improved" status of my apartment. And if you are wondering ... that's right, I have tin foil on my windows, I love the sun up at 530am and everything but this is the cheapest and most cost effective way of keeping the sun out so I can sleep the whole night through! I know it probably looks silly and I truly have to laugh at myself ... but the curtains were like 40 bucks! I'll get curtains when I get married, so until then ... it's foil that does the job! (sorry if you are grossed out by the pic of my bathroom, I just wanted to show you what it looks like!)

Moving on ... things have been good with me. This past week I do believe I finally have gotten over my jet lag. I still am getting used to the still bed, my back doesn't hurt when I wake up which is a good thing but still getting used to things in general. I do not have anything amazing and exciting to report ... just some random cultural things I have found to be interesting and to keep my readers occupied for a bit longer until something cool happens to me ... wait, what am I talking about, I'm living in South Korea! So I hope you are able to laugh and raise an eyebrow with interest as you read ...

- with the exception of the grocery store, there are no lines in South Korea, you either take a number and sit down or you just push your way to the front ... so that makes a fun time anywhere you go.

- the parking situation here is like any big city ... scarce ... so everywhere there is double parking. The interesting thing is that every, or almost every car, has the owners cell number in plain view on the dash so if you need it moved, rather than towed, you call the number and have them move it. Or you can simply push the car out of the way ... most of the people who are double parked simply leave their car in neutral so people can push them around and move them out of the way. Now that is trust!

- when I give something to someone who I respect, I give it to them with my right hand and support it with my left, this is a sign of respect.

- it's polite to slurp your noodles and soup and to eat with your mouth open, it's shows that you are enjoying it ...

- you never tip when you eat out ... this is considered rude and implies that your server is not making enough money to support him/herself ... this I like!

- it is not polite to look someone in the eye who you do not know, it is considered disrespectful.

- there are two channels on the TV that are specifially for "video game sporting events." I'm sure this will catch on in America soon ... so you can enjoy it too!

Ok, that's all that comes to mind right now. Oh yes ... to my family and friends I was thinking about coming home during the week I had off for Christmas but after thinking about it, I think it would be a long trip for such a short time so I will not be coming home during Christmas this year ... sorry! I'm not sure exactly what I am doing, possibly sitting on a beach in Thailand but I will let you know and take lots of pictures. I will miss everyone during the holiday season but I know I will see everyone again in good time. So that pretty much updates you on my life for the moment.

Take Care!

John

4 comments:

Molly R. said...

John, Gross pic of your toilet! At least it looks clean! Your place looks cute! Thanks for sharing some more pictures! It was good to chat with you last night. Chris and I enjoyed hearing your voice and catching up! I liked your cultural observations blog...very interesting, all of it.
Chris and I went to see the new Harry Potter movie today in Reno and we did not like it as much as some of the others...it was a bit long and drawn out. And we started watching our list of the Top 100 movies of all time, we started with #1 (Citizen Kane) and we did not care for that movie much either. SO we are 0-2 for movies for the weekend. Keep an eye out for the care package, I sent it last Monday so it should arrive soon, hopefully.
XOXO. Love, Molly

steve and randel hambrick said...

very interesting. if you pick up the slurping thing, you MUST cease it by next summer- gross..... also,
i am impressed by the foil windows- i'm sure your neighbors love the new look too... :)

Tuckenie said...

Foil windows are so NOW!

Katie said...

john. i am glad you are getting curtains when you get married. good plan. AND your little kitchen is really cute. AND I am glad that you are over your jet lag. for real.