Friday, February 15, 2008

choppys

a goofy photo ... 

something rather strange happened to me last night ... do not fret, nothing bad or anything of the sort.  I was getting dinner before my taekwondo class and I ordered a dish of pork-cutlet and of course they give you silverware to eat this: a fork and a knife.  As I began to cut into this delicious and juicy meal I realized how hard it was to eat with a fork and knife.  I know it sounds dumb to some extent ... then it occurred to me that I hadn't used a fork in six months.  I had been eating only with chop sticks and spoons.  So on some level and in some way my hand has learned and developed muscles that are accustomed to using chop sticks.  All that being said, I found it much easier to use the choppys rather than the fork.  The fork would slightly cut into my finger and it hurt a bit.  So I cut up the pork and picked up my sticks and proceeded to enjoy the meal.  I had to laugh a little inwardly as I was mildly in shock of this new revelation of my cultural experience.  Will I ever go back to using the stabbing way of eating with forks?  Probably one day ... but for a while I'll choose the extension of my fingers to eat my food as it seems easier and to me now.  

3 comments:

Rachel said...

You are soo random, it's great!

Unknown said...

Wow, that's really cool. I always wondered why they still went with the chop stick when they knew we had the fork. Interesting that they pinched you, but makes sense. I like that you call them choppys - is that the street name?

The randomness is great! Keep it up! It makes me feel like I'm involved more.

Unknown said...

Dude, you are a wonderful story-teller. Good writing and good substance! Man I miss you!