Saturday, January 12, 2008

just words ...



Above are more photos of my trip to Thailand ... as you can see, we saw many things ... including a Muay Thai fight where the first bouts were between children no more than 10 years old.  Yes, I was disturbed by then until I looked near the ring and saw one of the young fighters mothers yelling at him in much the way a soccer-mom in the west would yell at her kid.  It was a truly universal moment ... and a unique view into this culture.  The country side is also beautiful, this area at the foot of some mountains on the island of Phuket, was, I believe, somewhat new.  After arriving back in Korea I read an article stating that Phuket received 30% of all Thailand's' tourists.  This is a huge amount ... something like 1.5 billion dollars.

I have been trying to post all of my photos from my trip but have been having a bit of trouble with uploading them ... so hopefully soon I will be able to get more loaded to share with you all.  

Now for the update on me ... I am doing well.  I believe, and hope really, that I have somewhat passed through the difficult stages of the whole culture shock cycle.  It did, however, coincide with the holidays so with that it was especially hard this season.  It's a peculiar thing to be so far away from family during the holidays with all that has happened this past year ... I can remember enjoying time with family but also wanting to be elsewhere doing something other than what we had always done ... but this year wanting, more than I thought I would, to be doing the very thing I had done for the past 20 years of my life or so with my family.  The question seems to linger at all times ... what will I do after my contract is up?  I will be the first to inform you, I have no idea.  I find that my mind changes as much as the weather ... two months ago I would have told you I'm going to stay ... now at this point I would say I'll probably leave.  All this talk and thoughts of "what's next" can be very consuming but it seems to come back to the fact that truly I still do not know what I would like to do.  I may want to finish out the school year with my kids in the end or may feel that moving west is the best course.  I do question the longevity of it all being here ... perhaps a bit more schooling for a different part of the world ... perhaps something in the humanitarian field ... perhaps teaching in the States.  The options seem to be endless.  

As for school right now.  The school year is coming to a close soon when we will get new classes and new schedules.  I'm trying to make the most of it and give my students all that I have and to, more importantly, teach them the best and most effective ways that I know how.  

So that updates you as of now and what I am thinking and other things.  Email if you get a chance!

John 


4 comments:

steve and randel hambrick said...

thanks for the update. sorry the holidays were difficult- i'm glad to hear you seem to be on the upswing of things.
wait on the lord- you'll figure things out when you are supposed to. just live your life one day at a time, loving people along the way. we are proud of you!
MUCH love---

p.s. keep on bloggin'

Brown Eyed Girl said...

John!
we miss you!

I love all of your photos. I'm more than a little jealous of your life right now ;)

I hope you're doing well.

Unknown said...

I know one thing you can do. Become a certified scuba diver and come visit me wherever I end up (most likely St. Lucia). Even if you don't do scuba, you should still visit. It's supposed to be BEAUTIFUL!

We missed you druing the holidays this year too. Don't worry, I managed not to do the dishes again. I still don't think the family is on to us. Amazing we're still getting away with it after all these years. This comment may expose us but I bet they'll forget.

Everyone seems to be doing well. The Landis's wore matching pajamas the nighit before Christmas... pretty much made the Owen family puke.

Molly R. said...

We love you and miss you, John!!!
Love, Molly & Chris